Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Whachu Talkin' 'Bout, Willis?

The produce section at my grocery store seems quite a happenin' spot. I'm almost always happy when I'm food shopping so I guess I understand that people tend to strike up conversations when doing so. The only time I'm not as happy is when I'm on the no carb diet. That forces me to skip the King's Hawaiian sweet rolls, the potatoes, the Haagen-Dazs! Anyway, I've overheard and have been part of some interesting exchanges there. Here's one of those exchanges.

This little piggy was trying to pick the least bruised bananas with just the right coloring. Yes, I'm particular about my bananas. On one side, a guy was walking up to the banana section. On the other side, the produce lady has already walked up to me and offered me a slice of watermelon. Normally, I would have taken it but my hands were dirty and I didn't want to stick dirty hands in my mouth to remove the Invisalign. She asks me again to make sure, and I decline again. So she moves on to her next target.

As soon as she asked the question, I looked at the guy to see his reaction. I wanted to say out loud what was expressed on his face:

Oh no you di'n't just ask a black man if he wanted some watermelon!

What he actually said was: Yeah! Of course!

Then he laughs (and I laugh) and looks at me as if to say, "Does this lady not know how much black people like watermelon?"

No comments: