Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sophomore Blues

The Fat Girl Inside is back! No cable AND no internet? That was almost as bad as the no-carb diet! If they didn't give me Showtime free for a year, I woulda dumped Time Warner and hooked up with satellite TV. Well, one more screw up and I'm kickin' Time Warner to the curb.

Back to my food obsession...

I began my high school sophomore year in a new school, in a new state. We had just moved to Cerritos, California. Sally and I had AP English together and we became fast friends. One day when I met Sally for lunch she was holding something I had not seen before. (Keep in mind that at the time I was from a mainly white city of the east coast, very sheltered and preferred Mama Piggy's Chinese cooking to anything else.)

Sally was carrying what seemed like little round sticks stuffed with something, covered in a green sauce. What the hell? She told me it was taquitos with guacamole. That was my introduction to Mexican food. The school cafeteria is no source of quality food, of course, but I was in love with guacamole instantly. So, what did I do? I had two servings of taquitos.

Half way through my Biology class I started feeling queasy. I knew it was inevitable but I tried to fight it. Finally, I couldn't fight it any more. I had to cup my mouth with my hand to stop the vomit from spewing out onto the back of the head of the kid in front of me. I stood up and headed for the door. My biology teacher and I made eye contact for a second and he knew exactly what was happening.

As soon as I rounded the corner of the building, I couldn't hold it in any more. I left a trail of watery green liquid mixed with little bits of taquito all the way to the restroom.

I never had school cafeteria Mexican food again.

No comments: